MICROSOFT 24-HOUR APP DEVELOPER HACKATHON PROMOTION OFFICIAL RULES
PLEASE NOTE: It is your sole responsibility to review and understand your employer’s policies regarding your eligibility to participate in trade promotions. If you are participating in violation of your employer’s policies, you may be disqualified from entering or receiving prizes. Microsoft disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between an employee and their employer related to this matter, and prizes will only be awarded in compliance with the employer’s policies.
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES: Microsoft is committed to complying with government gift and ethics rules and therefore government employees are not eligible.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the 24-hour App Developer Hackathon Promotion will operate (“Promotion”). In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this promotion. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This Promotion will consist of a skill based contest and a Sweepstakes. This is a skill based contest. The objective of this promotion is to showcase Microsoft products (Azure, Windows 10, O365, etc) as platforms for developing cool apps.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Promotion starts at 12:00 p.m. Pacific Time (PT) on April 23, 2016 and ends at 12:00 p.m. PT on April 24th, 2016(“Entry Period”).
This Promotion is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
HOW DO I ENTER?
To enter, receive an official game ticket upon arriving and signing in at the registration table. There is a limit of one (1) ticket per person overall. Your ticket will make you eligible for all drawings listed below, until you are selected as a winner.
To participate, visit www.hackerleague.com to register and sign up for the event. You must attend the event to receive further instructions. At the event, you will be asked to create an Application prototype during the hackathon and develop a 3 minute presentation that gives an overview of the app. At the close of the event, you’ll be asked to present a working prototype of your app to the event participants/judges.
You can choose to participate in this promotion individually or you can form a team of no more than 5 people. Participants can be a member of multiple teams during the hackathon period, but may only win on behalf of a single team.
While there is no limit to the number of apps you can create during the hackathon, each individual/team can only select their single best app for official review by the judges.
Additional Info and tools for creating an app can be found here:
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
To be eligible an entry must meet the following content / technical requirements:
- Your app must be net new, meaning it was created for the purposes of entering this promotion and has not otherwise been submitted before.
- Your app must work as described
- Your app must have a distinct and substantial content and purpose, including functionality e.g., above and beyond launching a webpage
- By completing the registration and providing your app Submission, you agree that your Submission conforms to these Official Rules and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may remove your Submission and disqualify you from the Contest if it believes that your Submission fails to conform to the Official Rules.
- your entry must be your own original work; and
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials. You may include Microsoft trademarks, logos, and designs, for which Microsoft grants you a limited license to use for the sole purposes of submitting an entry into this Contest.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Promotion or the promotion of the event; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Promotion or the event (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Promotion entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed)
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- understand and acknowledge that the Sponsor(s) may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Promotion, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this promotion your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this promotion.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
Throughout the event, at three (3) separate times (6:00 p.m. April 23, 2:00 a.m. April 24, and 8:00 a.m. April 24), we will randomly select winners as follows:
6:00 p.m. drawing: One (1) winner will receive a 1-year Office 365 Professional Subscription. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $99
2:00 a.m. drawing: One (1) winner will receive a 1-year Office 365 Professional Subscription, a Microsoft mouse, and a Microsoft keyboard. ARV $149
8:00 a.m. drawing: One (1I winner will receive a 1-year Office 365 Professional Subscription and a copy of Windows 10. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $198
At the close of the event, a panel of judges will review all of the apps submitted and select winners in each of the following categories:
NUMBER OF WINNERS/TEAMS
PRIZES (unless otherwise noted, all prize money will be awarded in the form of a gift card and equally distributed among each person of a winning team)
Best Azure machine learning App
Best Azure App
Best Universal Windows App
In addition, we may (at our discretion) invite contest winners to have the opportunity to participate in the Microsoft recruiting process by submitting their resume and getting to talk regarding open positions that they are interested in at Microsoft.
Judging for each app is based on five factors as follows:
20% - Creativity: Is it new and valuable?
20% - Usability: How intuitive is it? Can someone pick it up and start using it immediately?
20% - Sustainability: Does it have potential to grow?
20% - Use of Technology: How diverse is it?
20% - Presentation: Was it organized, clear/concise, interactive and relevant?
The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than described above.
In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described below.
Limit one (1) Contest prize per person.
The total Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of all prizes: $2,446
Prizes will be awarded at the end of the session and you must be present to win and to claim your prize.
If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form before you can claim your prize. If you are a potential winner and you are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Promotion:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Promotion, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Promotion you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Promotion, or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Promotion; and
- That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Promotion, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS PROMOTION IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Promotion will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Promotion.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE PROMOTION CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Promotion, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Promotion. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Promotion, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Promotion.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Promotion by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Promotion, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
We will post the names of winners online at www.facebook.com/renohackathon. This list will remain posted one month after winner selection.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS PROMOTION?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
At Microsoft, we are committed to protecting your privacy. Microsoft uses the information you provide to notify prize winners, and to send you information about other Microsoft products and services, if requested by you. Microsoft will not share the information you provide with third parties without your permission except where necessary to complete the services or transactions you have requested, or as required by law. Microsoft is committed to protecting the security of your personal information. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Your personal information is never shared outside the company without your permission, except under conditions explained above.
If you believe that Microsoft has not adhered to this statement, please notify us by sending an email to email@example.com or postal mail to Microsoft Privacy, Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052 USA, and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to remedy the situation.